Thursday, November 18, 2010

Philadelphia Flyers and Layering Chalk Ink

Update 11/22/10: This card has been entered at Make It Monday Linky Party for a possible weekly feature at Michelle's Pink Paper Paradise blog. In Michelle's words: "Its a great way to showcase your favourite card or project to new people. You can even revive an old post. So come along link up and check out the other submissions and remember is all about just sharing the creativity and you may even find yourself making some new blog buddies." How great is that? Thanks Michelle!




Hello crafty friends! We made it over the hump (day). Yay! Today I want to share the last of a series of birthday cards made for a dear friend to give to her granddaughters. I have loved the work, but admit it was challenging, too. Generally, my cards are made to tickle my own fancy. These cards were made for specific teen girls whom I've never met but know a little about.

The most important thing I needed to know about Tiana is that she "bleeds Flyers orange". For a while I had no idea how to translate this onto a card ... until Kenny K released his All-Starz line. Hello Hockey Girl! I used Kenny K's images for the twins in July and the first November birthday. Kenny K has been very good to me and he doesn't even know it!


The ticket is my own design (duh) and the numbers are Tiana's birthday and age. I thought this was clever... *ahem* Susan=Dork.

What's up with the pennant, you ask? Weeelll, about 10 years ago I made this huge, wonderful Washington Redskins banner for friends. Each colored piece was hand-cut and layered from felt. I wish I had a good detail photo - sorry.


Then I made a Baltimore Ravens one for my husband, which I don't seem to have a photo of... (although it's hanging in the attic so I could show you if you want to make your own). This is a long way around to tell you sports teams and felt are in my blood. Ha! I figured since I could make these banners, why not a little pennant for the Flyers? Well , let me tell you, there's a biiig difference between a 30" x 40" banner and a 2" pennant. *sheesh* I am the queen of biting off more than I can chew! It worked out, though. I think it's cute, if obviously hand-cut! *grin*

Anyway, Hockey Girl is layered twice - the hat, left arm and left leg are all popped up. It kinda makes her a little more sassy, don'tcha think?



Oh, I wanted to share an example of layering chalk inks. I've talked about it before, and remembered to snap it in progress so you could see what I've been blathering on about. 

I first "edged" the paper in orange chalk, but it seemed too orange, so I added a little dark brown to the very edge and over the orange a little. 


See? The orange peeks through but has a little dimension now. That's the great thing about chalk inks - you can layer!


So here's the finished card with gift box. Honestly, I'm a little sad that it's all over. Julia, thank you *so* much for your friendship and your trust. You haven't seen this last card yet, so I hope with all my heart it makes you happy.


Challenges Entered
Card Recipe
  • Digital Stamp: "Hockey Girl" from Kenny K Downloads
  • Paper: Bazzill Basics in Mud Pie and Navel; Basic Grey Ambrosia in Tangy, Quince and Fresh Squeezed for the envelope
  • Medium: Copics for skin; Prismacolor pencils with OMS; Stickles in Icicle, Spiced Marmalade, Star Dust; Versa Magic chalk ink in Orange Spice and Jumbo Java
  • Embellishments: Kaisercraft Pearls; Ivory satin and sheer ribbons from stash; Mulberry flowers from Prima and The Beary Scrap; Pins from Grandma
  • Tools: Scor-Pal; Cutter Bee scissors; sewing machine; printer
  • Adhesives: Scor-Tape; Silicone glue; Glue Dots - I'm really liking these 1/8" ones in place of the normal foam dots I use. I suspect the foam dots don't stay on as long. I know heat affects them.
So,  there you have it! Thanks for stopping in today.

Cheers,
Susan

9 comments:

Debbi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbi said...

Oh my WORD! I love love LOVE this card!! I am a transplanted Philly girl, and, yes, I love the Flyers (did I mention that I love that card? LOL).
You did an amazing job on that banner. I KNOW that girl is gonna' LOVE it!
*smiles*
debbi

Patricia Mae said...

Susan this is awesome Im sure she will love it. I love the colors.

BTW-This loaded fine for me.
~Patricia

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

that is an incredibly awesome card girl!!! love your little ticket- very clever putting a "score"

Unknown said...

wow! this is awesome, i love it! perfect for the flyers fanatic!!!! Thanks for joining us at If the Shoe fits....SCRAP IT!

Cheryl Valadez said...

Wow! Both of these cards are fantastic, but I love seeing the Kenny K images making their way through Blogland ;D You have worked wonders with Hockey Girl! Just the right amount of girly ;D

Michelle said...

Hi

WOW, what an incredible project. It looks totally awesome!!

I would love it if you would link up to my Make it Monday linky party with this outstanding creation.

Michelle :-)

Allison Cope said...

Gorgeous card Susan! Thanks for playing along with us this month. Please make sure to link up CP4U to be eligible for our monthly prize.

Ally.
http://creativeprompts4u.blogspot.com/

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi Susan, love your creation . Came here from Michelle's Make it Monday . Orange , I don't use much but am inspired by the use here so will be tempted to try.