This week the design team is adding an insect to our winged projects. This ought to be fun!
I've made another tag - oh how I love working on this small "canvas"! The Basic Grey Capella line is quite delicious, and I've chosen this vine design as my "jumping off point". This design is sold out but you can find a similar one with BG's Figaro paper - check it out!
Even though this tag isn't a "busy" one, it's full of technique. The bird and cage were cut with Tim Holtz "Caged Bird" die using grungepaper. I colored the paper with Vintage Photo Distress Stain - if you don't have that one hand you can use brown Bazzill card stock!
My next step was to stamp all over the cage with the text stamp from My Mind's Eye/Portobello Road "Boy" stamp set. I used Memento Tuxedo Black ink and stamped a couple of times to cover the cage. Once that was done I covered all the cage "wires" with Glossy Accents and set aside to dry.
While that dried I looked through my BG Cappella stash for a good bird paper. I decided this one worked well with the little flower "eye" and the swoosh would make a great wing. I used a Kaisercraft black pearl for the eye and gussied up the wing and eye with Star Dust Stickles. Oh, and I layered a little Vintage Photo and Weathered Wood Distress Ink on the edges.
I used the FABULOUS Empressor tool to round my bird's edges and give him a little volume. All you have to do is lay the item (bird, flower, etc) on a piece of foam and make little circles with the Empressor all along the edges so they curl up. It works great with flowers "right side up" and I turned my bird upside down to make his little body stick out. I used to use vintage glass swizzle sticks and paint brush handles and find this tool so much smoother. It's a must-have!
The rose vine is made of Mulberry Paper Roses and leaves from my stash. I inked them with Tattered Rose and used the same color Stickles. Once dry I jus would them around the outside edge of the cage. I love how this vine mimics the vine-y pattern on the tag background.
My insect is a little bumble bee on a homemade stick pin. The seam binding (now in stock!) is Latte and oh-so-luscious. I can't wait to get my crafty little hands on all the wonderful colors!
- Paper: Basic Grey Cappella
- Medium: Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, Tattered Rose and Weathered Wood; Glossy Accents; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Stickles in Star Dust; Distress Stickles in Tattered Rose
- Embellishments: Mulberry Paper Roses; Seam Binding in Latte; Kaisercraft Pearl in black; all others from stash
- Tools: Tim Holtz Alterations Tag & Bookplate die; My Mind's Eye/Lost and Found/Portobello Road "Boy" stamp set; Journaling Genie Empressor tool
- Adhesives: Fabri-Tac on the vine side of the cage and bird wing; 1/8" Scor-Tape on the right side of cage; silicone under the bird for the 3D effect
Thanks so much for visiting today. We all really hope to see your entries on our "Wings" challenge, going on now through Saturday night!