Saturday, April 9, 2011

GM #2: What Color is the Wind?

Thanks so much to the great folks at Allsorts for choosing this for their Top 5 "Anything But A Square" challenge!

Click to see all the winners!


Hello hello! I'm here with this week's Grungy Monday challenge over at Studio L3. It was actually donedonedone Thursday, but I've been mucking about with the Beadfest show in Philadelphia, so this is the first chance I've had to post. Heh, better than last week when I posted 1 hour before the challenge closed. Ha!

Anyway, we were tasked to use a Ranger technique demonstrated by Tim Holtz HERE (it's a video tutorial). It's all about using Distress Ink with Studio Multi Medium to create this cool color resist effect.

To start my design, I reviewed the TH dies I have and decided to use the Tattered Leaves. I found the calender strip unused in my paper bits and went with an Autumn theme. I suppose if I had Spring months this would look completely different!

(Click to enlarge)

I made a foam stamp from TH Tattered Leaves dies and stamped with the medium. Once that was dry I used Distress Ink in to color the page around the leaves, and wiped the ink off the leaves themselves with a damp paper towel. I don't have that specific medium so I used something else then covered it with Rock Candy Distress Stickles. I like the effect, even if it was to cover up the other stuff. *wink*

What's this about the wind, you ask? I wanted the grungeboard swirl to represent the wind and spent a lot of time debating the color of wind. Weathered Wood Distress stain won out! I spritzed it with Pearl Glimmer Mist once dry. One other detail to share: The lace is vintage tatting I scored at an antique shop. Cool, huh?

Challenges, Please

Thanks for visiting! If you want to learn more about this Tim Holtz guy, check out his site HERE!

Cheers,
Susan

6 comments:

Suzanne Bouchard said...

very nice composition.

Lori said...

Very cool! Love the layers on the tag, and your technique turned out fantastic! Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

donna said...

Wonderful tag. I like how you used the flourish. It still feels like Autumn here...Donna

Linda Ledbetter said...

What a brilliant design, Susan! You've combined so many lovely elements that all work perfectly together, and the tag is elegant and warm and sweet. Great job on GM02!!!

france papillon said...

love how all the layers and textures work together, makes it look awesome! love it!

Fleur said...

Absolute stunning tag.
Thanks for joining our challenge at ALLSORTS this week, Good Luck
Hugz Fleur xXx