Tuesday, February 27, 2018

GSL Cuts Ed. Team: Anniversary Card

Hello friends!  I have an anniversary card to share today. I've used lots of fun Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts bits and bobs including butterfliesheart dangles, and wee little number plates.  I made this for my sister Lora, who also happens to be on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts education team.  I hope she doesn't take a sneak peek at my post before she receives the card!


I started with the Butterflies and Dragonflies cut.  Look how many choices are on the card!


Separate the cuts from the card -- I usually just press a blade into the board at the little stay-tabs.  Repeat on the other side if needed.


I dabbed white gesso on each piece and allowed to dry.


I positioned the heart frame top over the scene I wanted and traced it with a pencil.  I cut it inside the pencil lines so it wouldn't overlap on assembly and used brown ink on the edges.


Paint was next!  First I coated everything in creme white and quickly became bored with it.


I didn't take photos along the way, but I used these paint in roughly the left-to-right order.  The white on the end was mixed with colors to lighten them.  A little water diluted the paints so I could blend them in.


Here's the butterfly result.  Pretty!  The beaded hearts and bead trim were sponged with very diluted brown paint.  I used a brown marker to color the heart base so white didn't show through.


The Viva Pearl Pen is useful for pearls but keep in mind the dots will dry like little daggers if you don't make sure the tops are rounded when applied.  I didn't work carefully enough, I'll admit.  I ws able to push the dagger dots down a bit once dried.


The number plates are finished and don't need any treatment.  I used a straight pin to poke holes in the beaded heart where I wanted to attach the number plate.  Small vintage eye pins did the trick!



Once the card was embellished I decided to add a glassy surface in the heart using Diamond Glaze.


And here's the finished card!




Happy anniversary Lora and hubby!  I love you both dearly.  :)

Cheers,
Susan


Bead Strand Heart Dangle #D12H
Butterflies and Dragonflies #D69A
Bead Strands #D99K
Tiny Number Plates White #C8TW (coming soon!)

Other supplies used
Sewing machine
Scor Tape
Clear fabric glue
Liquitex white gesso
Diamond Glaze
Brown and ivory card stock
Pink Paislee paper
Mulberry paper flowers
Vintage tatting
Vintage crochet
Lumiere paints
Ivory acrylic paint
Viva Pearl Pen in creme

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

GSL Cuts Ed. Team: Mother Nature Santos Doll

Hello crafty friends!  Today on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts blog I'm sharing a Mother Nature inspired Santos doll.


My original idea for her was completely different than what you see today.  While my idea was neat, *this* particular Santos doll had a different design in mind.  :)  You may notice wings and a skeleton in the photos... just ignore 'em.

Here we go!  I used a small blade to cut the parts from the frame.  I usually just push down with the blade on both sides rather than pull the blade.  I'm not that graceful and run the risk of cutting too much.  Pressing down is safer!


I laid the torso on the paper I wanted to use and outlined with a pencil.  "F" is for front.  I had both front and back cut at this point and wanted to keep them straight.  I used Mod Podge as the adhesive. Once dry, I fine-tuned the paper edges with finishing sandpaper.  You'll see that better a little further down.

I highly recommend marking the arm holes on the first paper layer by using a pin to poke a tiny hole from the non-papered side.  It becomes a wee bit challenging to find the holes if you forget and put both front and back papers on without doing it.


For the inside base (painted brown for the earlier Santos version), I outlined both the outer edge and inner notches on my paper of choice.  I only needed to do the notches on the inside base since the skirt frame goes in them.  The base bottom paper is just the circle.


Mod Podge the inside paper to the base.  Once dry, use fine and superfine sandpaper to finish the edges.

Next, Mod Podge the outside paper (not shown here) and finish sand in the same manner.


I used a smidge of white glue on the bases of the skirt frame and cleaned up the bits that squish out with my fingernail or whatever would work.


Before the last frame piece was attached, I added embellishments.


The bird cage was painted brown, then gold, then with a silver wash.  I was making that up as I went!


To hang the cage, I used a very small eye hook up through the already-glued-and-mostly-dry torso.  Then I add the this top to the skirt frames and allowed to dry overnight.  In this case, I dabbed glue in the holes rather than on the frame parts.  Getting all the legs in required a little patience and coordination, but I would NOT say it was difficult.


I used small head pins and spacers to attach the arms.


Here she is in full.  I added a tiny nest and eggs.  I'm not sure if I'm going to add any more embellishments. Maybe a grapevine wreath for her head, but she will stay simple.




Thanks for your visit today!

Cheers,
Susan

GSL Cuts Used
Santos Doll Kit #C43L
Steampunk Shape Set (Cage) #D33A

Other Supplies Used
Pink Paislee "Butterfly Garden" paper
Dresden trim
Mod Podge
Fine sand paper
White gesso
Brown acrylic paint
Ivory acrylic paint
Brass bits and bobs