Monday, November 15, 2010

TBS DT: Jolly Old St. Nick

Hello hello blogging friends! i hope you had a spectacular weekend in your neck of the woods. Husband and I visited a dog show so we could stare at all the beautiful Dobe Boys and Girls. Ours runs more toward the Dobe Goof side of the breed family, and we love every bit of him. It is nice to see the ladies and gents, though. *wink*

After that I hunkered down in the studio. I managed to finish 2 cards from weeks ago and create today's card and a commissioned Philadelphia Flyers (professional ice hockey) card for a girl. I'm really pleased with it and will share here later this week.

Today kicks off a new Beary Sweet Challenge, and our theme is 
Anything Goes! 
Haha - I love this kind of challenge since it allows me complete freedom. Of course, this was a no-brainer for me since I started designing this card in my head waaay back when I first got my mitts on the My Mind's Eye Holly Jolly papers. With this challenge I was finally able to use it.


Santa is too delicious to be *just* a background element, don'tcha think? I had 2 of the same sheets and cut one Santa out. I painted him with Distress Crackle paint and layered him onto the second. Oh, I also I lightly inked the cut-out edges before painting with the crackle. I used Stickles on the holly and berries in his hat, too.

Here's a little note about Stickles - I have both the "Christmas Red" and "Gold" but find that "Candy Cane" and "Diamond" are much more suitable. When compared side by side, the former seem too bright.

The delightful ribbon is new to The Beary Scrap and I *love* it! I used 2 strips and wove gold embroidery thread through the centers. It was a bit of a brainstorm, and I'm really happy it hit me. I have tons of embroidery thread from years (er... decades?) ago that I've never used. Now it will be put to a good use! Yay!

The tag and tag holder thingy are Tim Holtz... stay tuned for TH products at TBS. *verybiggrin* The holly leaves (edged in Diamond Stickles) and red gems are from stash.

Challenges Entered
Card Recipe
  • Paper: My Mind's Eye Holly Jolly "Jolly Old St. Nick"; Bazzill Basics Mud Pie and (Dark Green)
  • Medium: Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink in Chestnut Roan; Stickles in Diamond, Candy Cane, Green; Distress Crackle Paint in Rock Candy
  • Embellishments: Lace (available soon on the website); Embroidery floss, holly leaves, gems from stash
  • Adhesive: Scor-Tape, sewing machine
Thank you *so* much for visiting me today! I really hope you join our Anything Goes challenge at the Beary Scrap Design Team Blog - I'd love to see your projects!

Cheers,
Susan

5 comments:

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my Susan I love this creation that image is fantastic so olde worlde and vintage, which I adore so much, the added lace, Holly and tag finish it off perfectly.
Hugs
Lorraine x

stephanne said...

I came by to see the rant, lol!! I think it is in the wrong spot hun, it needs to go directly beneath the header!!

This is really handsome, I love the image and the wonderfully subtle details to let Mr Clause do the talking, a wonderful creation!!

hugs, fellow realist, stephanne

Betty Wright said...

Susan, this is wonderful! Great look and the sparkle on the holly is just perfect! Wonderful Christmas card! Thanks so much for playing Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Challenge!

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous, sweet card love Santa.
luv
Debby

Chelsea said...

Oh this is so wonderful! Love the idea and the colors on this card.
Love,
Chelsea