Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dia De Los Muertos Birthday

Hiya bloggers! As promised, here are two of my most recent projects. The first project I want to share is a mixed media piece made for my sister's birthday. Her birthday is November 2nd, which is also a part of Dia De Los Meurtos festivities - and she's a big fan. I had a lot of fun with this!


I like all the skellies, but the singing one on the far right cracks me up! I made all the "lanterns" with bead and bits, and scoured my backyard for sticks that would bend just right. The grass is shrubbery greens I found in the model train section of the craft store. It's really cool stuff and I can't wait to use it again.

The second project is a "chunky Halloween house" I made for my sister. I used Pink Paislee's Hocus Pocus paper - love this line!


This is the front - click the photo to see more detail. It's about 7" tall. The skeleton is 3 layers: background, full-oval cameo and the skeleton on top. The fly is also dimensional with little raised wings. The crystals are all Swarovski flatbacks.

And here's the back. The background is from a 12x12 sheet and the cut-out frame is from a 6x6 of the same design.

If you want to see a small sampling of her art, go to CalliopeDesignStudio, her Etsy shop. You can also find her on Craftster.org - her user name is "cackle" and she makes incredible art!

Thanks for stopping by today. I'm going back to Christmas cards now. Have a swell day!

Cheers,
Susan

4 comments:

Handmade in Israel said...

Your sister's mixed media present is amazing! I am sure she loved it. Lucky her!

Shelly Hickox said...

Love all of this, but my fave is your DOTD piece - really incredible!!

Kira - oopsicraftmypants.com said...

You're pretty much amazing! Love the skele-band!

Annie said...

Oh my gosh - looking through your work here and am struck by how meticulous and detailed it is! I'm in awe. I just lack that kind of patience and...imagination! Saying hello from EtsyGreetings!

Dough, Dirt & Dye
Empty On the Inside