Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Alpha Stamps Guest Designer

Hiya folks! I'm a big Alpha Stamps fan and went *squee!* when asked permission to share a recent altered block within their newsletter. By the magic of fairies or something, it turned a little bigger and after they sent me neat supplies I made this:

Side one
Side two!
I used both digital collage sheets and a few sheets from Graphic 45's Botanical Tea 8x8 pad. The digital collage sheets are Seed Catalog ATCs and Bees, Birds and Butterflies. I printed them at home but you can also purchase preprinted sheets.

In typical Susan fashion, I got out the wee Fiskars swivel finger blade and super sharp sissors to do a little fussy cutting. I'll admit the medallion was a labor of love! As I was cutting, it occurred to me that I have metal bits in a very similar shape, but... perhaps next time. I was already so invested in it!

The birdies are layered on a foam dot and the butterfly is from Botanical Tea. I dotted bits of Frosted Lace Stickles on the pink flowers to give them a little umph. Umpf? Yes, that!

I planted a garden on the top to pull the two sides together. The pillars are actually part of AS's Wood Finial Chess Pawn set. I used E6000 to attach the pillars - definitely allow to sit/cure overnight! The triangle is a new piece from Alpha Stamps - when it's in the shop I'll add a link. The wood block itself is a cut up 2x4, which makes it perfect for altered trading blocks (or, altered blocks if you're not going to trade 'em).

The bumbles were cut from the Birds, Bees and Butterflies digital collage sheet. Before I cut, I used Glossy Accents on the wings. Once dried, I cut them out and used a brown felt pen to color the edges and fill in shadows around the legs. The flower centers are Frosted Lace and Diamond Stickles.

A few more details, then I'll let you go! All the wood bits were primed first. I use either gesso or ivory matte craft paint. The pillars were painted with Jacquard Lumiere Pearlescent White, with a touch of Halo Pink Gold.

The Candlestick Holder base was painted with Jacquard Lumiere Metallic Russet with a little matte ivory craft paint dry-brushed on after... and then more Metallic Russet to tone down the ivory as needed. You know how it goes...

So, that's it! Thanks to Alpha Stamps for the chance to play with the new wood and have a spotlight in your April 24 newsletter!


Tuesday, April 22, 2014

French Country Treasure Box

Hello friends! I'm here today to show a little altered box. It started out as one of Graphic 45's Mini Book Boxes and was covered with G45's French Country. Ooh la la!

Thanks for visiting today - see you soon!


Monday, April 21, 2014

Hummingbird Altered Block

Hiya! I have a new altered block to share today, made from Graphic 45's Botanical Tea paper. 

I cut around the hummingbirds in a general way, then used Mod Podge to adhere it to light cardboard. (Also know as a cereal box.) I then stuck both of those to a pattered scrap to coordinate the back of the wings. Once dried, I used a sharp X-Acto knife and a lot of patience to cut through the thickness. (And ended up white washing the backs anyway, so the stripes don't show much. Ha!) See how I wrapped the background paper around the side? I like the effect.

The base is an old wood knob found at a thrift store, painted coral and a bit of ivory. The rosette is just a 1/2" x 12" strip of paper from the collection scored at 1/4" intervals.

Thanks for visiting today!


Sunday, April 20, 2014

Bun Bun Garland

Hello hello! Bun Bun and his friends are stopping in to say hello with me. We all hope your day was grand. :)

There are 9 panels to the garland: 

These were made using Pion Designs' Fairytale of Spring paper collection from a few years ago. I've been hoarding it until now!

The rosettes are made from fantastic heavy-weight crepe paper. It's like nothing I've seen before and I'm over the moon about it! I found it at Castles In The Air, thanks to my fabo-riffic sister Lora.

Thanks for visiting today! I've got a few projects to share this week - see you then!