Monday, August 28, 2017

Winter Tree

Hello Crafty folks!  I have my August 22nd Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts team post to share with you... er, a few days late.

***

This week here in Maryland the heat indices have been reaching the upper 90s.  It's awfully warm!  I needed a mental break from it and this wintery scene did the trick.


This was a quick project until it came time to make the polymer clay bird.  I tried really hard to make a proper cardinal, but it wasn't in the stars.  We'll just have to use our imagination, 'k?  He's red.

I used the 3 inch 3D Chipboard Tree from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts.  This tree has delicate branches with tiny connectors.  I pushed my blade into the obvious connectors and held the tree up to a light to find the not-so-obvious ones. It worked like a charm!



The next step was to gesso the whole tree, including the sides.  I used a foam sponge and a lot of patience to go around each branch.  After it dried I double checked the branch edges and filled in missed spots.


On the next layer I dabbed white acrylic paint all over.  Dabbing it on created the tree texture.  I moved the trees off the leftover paint and let them dry on the spatulas.  This step was repeated on the other side.


When dry I put the trees together.  I had to use a straight edge to clear away excess paint from the grooves so the trees were even at the base.

I used a gorgeously weathered clapper from an old wind chime as my base.  A tiny bit of e6000 on the tree holds it to the clapper.  I added bits of moss to finish off the earth.


From tip to toe this is 4 inches tall.  It's so sweet!  I'm now on the lookout for a small glass cloche under which I will tuck this lovely winter scene.


Thanks for visiting today!

Cheers,
Susan

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Used
3D Chipboard Tree 3 Inch #C1C

Other Supplies Used
Green moss
White gesso
White acrylic paint
White glue
E6000 glue
Polymer clay
Red acrylic paint

2 comments:

L Mahaffey said...

It's wintery goodness. Love!

Nancy Wethington said...

I love this so much. It seems to be growing right out of the earth in the middle of your hand. Beautiful design!