Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Love Potion Altered Tin

Hello folks!  Today on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts blog I share a lighter version of my year 'round skeleton obsession.  Our friend here is in love and offers you a little magic love potion... don't mind the tombstones over there.  His love lasts an eternity.


I started out with the GSL products I needed to paint/finish with wet stuff.  I cut the tree with a paper cutter.


I knew the skellie would hold something, so I snipped the connector piece at the ribs and left the shoulder bone attached.  Later I reinforced the shoulder bone with a spot of clear glue on the back.


With my typical finger painting style, I covered all the chipboard with white gesso.


I wasn't sure how the tombstones would look at the end, so I started with the general color I was hoping for... The silver was covered over with a Golden micaceous iron oxide later, then I used a tiny bit of white acrylic paint on my finger tip for a weathered marble look.  It worked out even though it doesn't really look like weathered marble.  :)


I finger-dabbed white acrylic paint on the skeleton, then used a tiny brush with a super-watered-down brown to age him.  I painted one small section at a time, waited a beat or two then dabbed the excess of with a paper towel.


I covered the love potion "label" on the paper with Diamond Glaze and let it sit over night.  I'll be honest that I don't love this product since it's prone to air bubbles and is much thinner than Ranger Glossy Accents.  I'm working my way to the bottom of the bottle because I can't bring myself to throw it away.

The love potion paper and the various edges were cut out and glued in with Glue n Seal.  I used a scrap piece of wood for the base, and screwed it in.  (I'm moving away from just gluing these types of parts together; you don't have to!)


Here's a look at the finished GSL skeleton, creepy tree, and tombstones.  The piles of excess chipboard and the paper-covered pile of chipboard next to the skeleton are going to be used behind the pieces to create a 3D effect.


The tree was glued in then I layered the tombstones and "ground fog".  I used regular white glue for each of these layers.


The skelly boost was glued on the back, then I added him to the tin along with his party hat!  The shoulder reinforcement glue is visible in this photo also.  It was just a little bit, but it made me feel better.


Ta da!  It's party time!


Here's a look at the back. I will probably add more silver tinsel around the edges.


Thanks for your visit today!

Cheers,
Susan

GSL supplies used
Creepy Tree 5 Inch #D127D
Skeleton Shape Set D136S
Tiny Tombstones C55S

Other Supplies Used
3x5 tin
Scrap wood
Fancy Pants "Oct 31" paper
Cheese cloth
White gesso
Golden & Liquitex acrylic paints
Golden Micaceous Iron Oxide
Stickles glitter glue
Crafter's Pick white glue
Ranger Glue n Seal

No comments: