Tuesday, April 25, 2017

It's A Pocket Circus!

Hi crafty folks!  On today's blog I have a pocket full of circus to share with you.  I used the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Tiny Matchbox Theatre.  It's 2 1/2" x 3" (6.35cm x 7.6cm)!


There are two sets in this photo to show how they arrive and how to fold at the score lines.


I painted the outside edges black.  I also painted the inside flaps since I knew they would be visible.  Next I used white craft glue to close all but the top.  I measured the inside aerialist panel to fit so I could slide that panel in from the top.


For a pull knob, I measured the center of the side panel (you *don't* want me to eyeball it...) and poked a hole.  You can sort of see the hole in this photo!  From the inside I threaded the knob base and left it in to attach the knob later.

In this photo you can also see the scrap chipboard I glued in to raise the aerialist panel to the center of the matchbox.


I inserted the layered aerialist panel and used a clamp and scrap chipboard to let the glue set.  After it set I used varying grits of sandpaper to even out the edges and give it a worn look.  The black paper is super fine and is great to sand away any extra glue, also.


Next I glued the matchbox sleeve and clamped to let the glue set.  You can see the finished matchbox theatre in the background.


I cut the outside paper and scored it to wrap around the bottom.  I couldn't bear to cut off the heads!


Here is the completed sleeve!  I inked the edges with brown ink and used gold Dresden trim to finish it off.  (The top and back of the sleeve were painted black.)


The inside has layered aerialists just hanging around.  If you click to enlarge the photo you can see the layering a bit better.


Thanks for visiting today!

Cheers,
Susan


GSL CUTS USED

Tiny Matchbox Theatre #C40D


OTHER SUPPLIES USED

Liquitex black acrylic paint
White craft glue
Vintage aerialist images
Ranger TH Gathered Twig ink
TH knob

1 comment:

Nancy Wethington said...

This is just too cute and clever! Love the theme and the layering inside.