Monday, August 16, 2010

TBS DT: Stitching Inspiration

Hello hello again! Thanks for popping in today. It was a great weekend here in Maryland - got lots done around the house and had many giggles with the Husband. He's a card!

So, we kicked off a new Beary Sweet Challenge yesterday - "In Stitches". I hope you can play along with us! I've been noodling around with the idea of a vintage sewing inspired card lately. I collect vintage sewing stuff, so it's always on my mind in some form or another. At an estate sale years ago, I found a 1924 Singer Model 66 in it's cabinet with the cool drawers and scrolly iron base. The wood top had some cosmetic problems but the machine itself was in great shape. I recently sold it on Craigslist (without the drawers!) since I will be receiving Grandma's machine in a few weeks. It's in excellent condition and I'm very excited!

Sew, here's my card, in an attempt to scratch the vintage sewing itch I've been feeling lately:


I Googled "vintage sewing" images and found this beauty. I popped it into Photoshop, upped the resolution and sharpened it a bit. I think it turned out pretty well! I used Basic Grey's Capella papers - it's such a beautiful variety of prints. I was able to use 4 different Capella prints as well as the coordinating solid green layer. Oh, and the pattern along the left side is from the Capella ribbon tape set. Pretty!

The layout is strongly influenced by current challenges at Creative Prompts and Practical Scrappers, plus my own quirky style. I wanted the do the CP challenge but couldn't make the "tiles" work. I found the PS sketch and figured I could turn that scrapbook layout sketch into a card and use my already-cut tiles. Now it's a combination of the two challenges - three tiles as a nod to CP and freeform placement thanks to PS. They're kind of like quilting blocks, no? Even though it's a huge stretch, I'll still enter both challenges as a "thank you" for the inspiration. :)

I wrapped a tiny spool with coordinating thread and made it into a charm. I have no idea where the scissors charm came from... I don't remember seeing it in my collection before today. Weird, huh? The stick and t-pins are both from Grandma's sewing box. Thanks again, G-ma!

Challenges
Card Recipe
Thanks again for stopping to visit today. Be sure to check out the Beary Scrap Design Team blog for Elise's  answer to our BSC #8: In Stitches challenge. Hope to see you back for another visit, and can't wait to see your entry, too!

Cheers,
Susan

13 comments:

❤ Kaia said...

Beautiful card.
Love the image and papers.
Hugs, Kaia

Anne said...

Wow, this is beautiful!
Love the style! :)

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edith said...

I love, love this card Susan! Very creative, great vintage style. Really beautiful!
Edith:)

Allison Cope said...

This is beautiful Susan and perfect for this week's challenge! Thanks for playing along with us!

Ally.
http://creativeprompts4u.blogspot.com

TesaB said...

Ohhhh wow!!! This is one gorgeous vintage card!!! LOVE it!!!

Natalie Jane said...

This is gorgeous :) a brilliant take on the prompt!!
Thank you for playing along :)
xx

Sue Sykes said...

Lovely! That tape measure ribbon is gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with the CP challenge!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Totally yummy vintage creation, Susan. I love everything about it - especially that vintage image. The tape measure and tiny spool of thread are perfect finishing touches!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I love that spool charm. The sewing machine image looks exactly like my mom's from when I was a kid that was her grandmother's!

Corinna

Cheryl said...

I love this card! The spool charm and tape measure ribbon are the perfect accents.

Thank you for joining us for the Sentimental Sundays “Ribbon or Lace” challenge. I hope you will join us again next Sunday for our new challenge.

Cheryl
http://shestamps.blogspot.com/

cabio's craft corner said...

Gorgeous card with beautiful embellishment details :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

kelly said...

I love the image, and the whole vintage feel of your card.

Kelly