So, we kicked off a new Beary Sweet Challenge yesterday - "In Stitches". I hope you can play along with us! I've been noodling around with the idea of a vintage sewing inspired card lately. I collect vintage sewing stuff, so it's always on my mind in some form or another. At an estate sale years ago, I found a 1924 Singer Model 66 in it's cabinet with the cool drawers and scrolly iron base. The wood top had some cosmetic problems but the machine itself was in great shape. I recently sold it on Craigslist (without the drawers!) since I will be receiving Grandma's machine in a few weeks. It's in excellent condition and I'm very excited!
Sew, here's my card, in an attempt to scratch the vintage sewing itch I've been feeling lately:
I Googled "vintage sewing" images and found this beauty. I popped it into Photoshop, upped the resolution and sharpened it a bit. I think it turned out pretty well! I used Basic Grey's Capella papers - it's such a beautiful variety of prints. I was able to use 4 different Capella prints as well as the coordinating solid green layer. Oh, and the pattern along the left side is from the Capella ribbon tape set. Pretty!
The layout is strongly influenced by current challenges at Creative Prompts and Practical Scrappers, plus my own quirky style. I wanted the do the CP challenge but couldn't make the "tiles" work. I found the PS sketch and figured I could turn that scrapbook layout sketch into a card and use my already-cut tiles. Now it's a combination of the two challenges - three tiles as a nod to CP and freeform placement thanks to PS. They're kind of like quilting blocks, no? Even though it's a huge stretch, I'll still enter both challenges as a "thank you" for the inspiration. :)
I wrapped a tiny spool with coordinating thread and made it into a charm. I have no idea where the scissors charm came from... I don't remember seeing it in my collection before today. Weird, huh? The stick and t-pins are both from Grandma's sewing box. Thanks again, G-ma!
- Creative Prompts #28 (8/31) - Photo inspiration
- Practical Scrappers (8/21) - Stitching
- Sentimental Sundays #16 (8/21) - Ribbon or Lace ( I think my "Inspire" snap counts... if not, that's OK!)
- Bunny Zoe's #3 (9/13) - Vintage
- Image: Vintage Sewing from a Google search
- Papers: Bazzill Basics in Mud Pie and French Vanilla; Basic Grey Capella 6x6 pad as well as 12x12 Dolce and Timpani; Neenah card stock for the vintage image
- Medium: Glimmer Mist Pearl; Stickles Frosted Lace; Color Box Fluid Chalk in Chestnut Roan
- Embellishments: Basic Grey Capella ribbon tape; We R Memory Keepers Designer Eyelets & Snaps - Inspiration set; Lace, pins, charms, twill measuring tape from stash
- Tools: Scor-Pal; Cuttlebug embossing folders; trusty sewing machine and favorite thread
- Adhesive: Scor-Tape; Aleene's Quick Dry
Thanks again for stopping to visit today. Be sure to check out the Beary Scrap Design Team blog for Elise's answer to our BSC #8: In Stitches challenge. Hope to see you back for another visit, and can't wait to see your entry, too!