The Cabana Row House Set includes 5 fold-up houses with rooftops. The first ones I made are "A" and "D", the two larger ones. See how the "A" house matches up with the "A" roof? Gina was clever when she cut these out.
I laid the house on top of a 12x12 paper and simply outlined around it in pencil, making sure both the front of the house and paper design were visible.
Using scissors I cut along the pencil lines.
The next step was to score at the paper folds and gently fold the GSL cabana house away from the dark laser cuts.
I found it easiest to use glue medium a little at a time in order to fold as I went along to ensure the glue dried with already-bent corners. In other words, glue the first two panels, fold fold, then glue the next two, fold fold, then glue the bottom, fold.
Before glueing closed and inserting the bottom, I used my trust brown marker to even out the color on the visible edges. Just to note, I didn't do it on the second cabana and it didn't really matter. Anyway, I put glue on the bottom tabs and the side panel in my fingers then clamped about midway past my fingers. Let it set overnight. (Check out the alternative method in the next photo.)
Alternatively, glue the bottom in AFTER the sides have dried, as you see on my second cabana here. It worked better.
I used a scalloped die cut to make roof shingles, adhering them together with 1/8" tape. Once I had enough for each side I clean cut each edge and painted the edges of the roof with black acrylic paint.
A lot of glue later the shingles were attached to both sides of the roof!
These haunted cabanas aren't going to have a lot of decoration, but they do need feet. Both the feet and apothecary bottles were painted black. I didn't want to handle so many small things wet with paint, so I put on my thinking cap and got a little clever. Clever-ish. You know what I mean! I used a blade to press out the tiny tabs Gina leaves in the laser cuts, but left them in the original "frame". This way they fell right out, ready to use. I used flat glue dots (cut in tiny pieces) on the backs of the wooden feet to temporarily hold them to paper. No black painted fingers!
To add a little texture and gloss to the apothecary bottle silhouettes I dabbed on the Ranger crazing medium. Transparent moulding paste would have worked also.
Here are the first two haunted cabanas! The other 3 in the set are smaller and grouped together will look neat.
Here's a quick tip if you use hole-filled dies for roof shingles: The glue will show through even if it's matte. Once you're sure the glue has dried, lightly paint over the shingles with watered-down paint. I completely covers the glue!
Also, I like the chipboard left over after the bottles were removed. The paper pad I used happened to have a collage of tiny pharmacy labels so I'm storing them together for future use. I'll finish the black around the edges and use this as 3D wallpaper in a shadow box cubby. Neat!
Thanks for your visit today!
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Used
Cabana Row House Set H1CR
Tiny Apothecary Bottles C47A
Other Supplies Used
Tim Holtz Paper Stash "Halloween Haunts"
Bazzill black card stock
Sizzix Big Shot and dies
Ranger crazing medium
The endless tub of Mod Podge I'd like to finish with one day
Scor Tape 1/8"
Zig 2-Way Squeeze & Roll glue pen
Fabri-Tac (on feet)
Harbor Freight clamps