Tuesday, May 23, 2017

GSL Cuts Ed. Team: French Countryside Reliquary

Hello folks!  Today I have a hint of the French countryside to share with you.  I've never actually been, but I can imagine it with the help of Graphic 45's French Country collection.  Come here and take a peek through this Reliquary Arch window...


I pulled together the components I wanted to use and outlined the reliquary base on my background paper. I actually used the top piece for the outline so I could see how the finished paper would look.  As it turned out, barely any showed through but that's not always the case.  Anyway...  I cut it out and fine tuned with snips here and there so it didn't poke out between layers.


Since I wanted a hanger on the back, I punched a hole for future addition of the hanger.


Matte medium attached the paper to the reliquary base.  Next step was to paint things black: front piece of the arch, the inside edge and back of the base, and the fleur-de-lis.


You can see in this next photo that I painted the inside edges of the base so the base paper didn't show through the top piece scallops.


The next thing was to add the hanger and the only embellishment to go between the layers.  Once the bee paper was on I glued the reliquary pieces together and clamped to keep them as tight as possible.

Also in this photo you can see I started the gold paint layering on the fleur-de-lis.


Next I added the fence, flowers, and finished fleur-de-lis.  The fence needed to be clamped while the glue set.


The last step was to add the final embellishments!


Thanks for visiting today!  I hope our daily projects help inspire your Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts projects.

Cheers,
Susan

GSL Cuts Used
Reliquary Arch #D8A

Other Materials Used
Graphic 45 "French Country" collection
Wood fence
Wood alphabet
Wood flour-de-lis
Liquitex black acrylic paint
Ranger Glue and Seal
Ranger Glossy Accents
Ranger Distress Collage Medium
Stickles Diamond, Waterfall, Paprika, Clear Rock Candy

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

GSL Cuts Ed. Team: Business Card Holder

Hi folks!  With a couple of shows coming up I decided to upgrade my clear lucite business card holder.  I'm so happy with my new Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Business Card Holder!


You probably know I'm a paper hoarder.  We all have that in us!  Years ago Prima came out with a line called "Fairy Flora".  I wish I'd purchased more than one 6" x 6" pad because it is in my Top 5 Favorites Of All Time.  (Ok, I don't actually have a written list of favorites.  Really, I don't.  *ahem*)  I was able to complete this project using mostly just saved scraps from projects past.

The business card holder comes with 5 pieces and is super simple to assemble.  The side and bottom panel are 3 different sizes.  Obviously the short goes in front, but the other two are interchangeable.  I chose to use the tallest one for the base to allow for the most amount of cards on my show table.


I used one full sheet to mark the side pieces.  It's that gorgeous paper on the left... now I only have one full sheet of it and I'm going to hoard it!


Next I cut out the rest of the inside and outside pieces.  Notice I didn't cut an inside piece for the small front panel.  I used an X-acto type straight blade to cut the inside notches.  Get as close to actual hole size as possible so you don't have assembly problems later.  Everything else was cut by hand (instead of the paper trimmer) since I knew I'd be sanding edges later.


A matte medium glued the paper to base pieces.  You can use any glue for this step.  It's a good idea to glue the interior side pieces on first so you can clean up the holes if necessary.  That fit is important later.  After it dried for a bit I sanded the outer edges so they didn't hang over the base pieces.  The black super-fine sandpaper finished the surface nicely.


Next I used brown ink to "age" those edges and pulled out the white glue to assemble.


The side and bottom pieces fit into the walls relatively easily.  This is where the excess paper could have been an issue.  It was a little fiddly to get the second side wall on without smearing the glue, but that's to be expected.  Once in place make sure all your joints are close and tight.


For a little embellishment in front, I used a piece of the Leafy Swirl.  I painted it green and layered Peeled Paint glitter and Glossy Accents.  I think those three steps took longer than the business card itself! :)


Here are the inside and back views.  That back view is my favorite and the one I'll see the most.  I'm crafty like that.  *wink*



Thanks for visiting today!   ~Susan


GSL Cuts in this project:

Business Card Holder #BD6A
Leafy Swirl #C7G


Other Supplies used:
Ranger Glue & Seal
Sandpaper
White glue
Distress Ink in Gathered Twig
Lumiere Pearl Emerald Green paint
Distress Stickles in Peeled Paint
Ranger Glossy Accents