Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Alpha Stamps Guest Designer

Hiya folks! I'm a big Alpha Stamps fan and went *squee!* when asked permission to share a recent altered block within their newsletter. By the magic of fairies or something, it turned a little bigger and after they sent me neat supplies I made this:


Side one
Side two!
I used both digital collage sheets and a few sheets from Graphic 45's Botanical Tea 8x8 pad. The digital collage sheets are Seed Catalog ATCs and Bees, Birds and Butterflies. I printed them at home but you can also purchase preprinted sheets.

In typical Susan fashion, I got out the wee Fiskars swivel finger blade and super sharp sissors to do a little fussy cutting. I'll admit the medallion was a labor of love! As I was cutting, it occurred to me that I have metal bits in a very similar shape, but... perhaps next time. I was already so invested in it!



The birdies are layered on a foam dot and the butterfly is from Botanical Tea. I dotted bits of Frosted Lace Stickles on the pink flowers to give them a little umph. Umpf? Yes, that!


I planted a garden on the top to pull the two sides together. The pillars are actually part of AS's Wood Finial Chess Pawn set. I used E6000 to attach the pillars - definitely allow to sit/cure overnight! The triangle is a new piece from Alpha Stamps - when it's in the shop I'll add a link. The wood block itself is a cut up 2x4, which makes it perfect for altered trading blocks (or, altered blocks if you're not going to trade 'em).


The bumbles were cut from the Birds, Bees and Butterflies digital collage sheet. Before I cut, I used Glossy Accents on the wings. Once dried, I cut them out and used a brown felt pen to color the edges and fill in shadows around the legs. The flower centers are Frosted Lace and Diamond Stickles.


A few more details, then I'll let you go! All the wood bits were primed first. I use either gesso or ivory matte craft paint. The pillars were painted with Jacquard Lumiere Pearlescent White, with a touch of Halo Pink Gold.



The Candlestick Holder base was painted with Jacquard Lumiere Metallic Russet with a little matte ivory craft paint dry-brushed on after... and then more Metallic Russet to tone down the ivory as needed. You know how it goes...

So, that's it! Thanks to Alpha Stamps for the chance to play with the new wood and have a spotlight in your April 24 newsletter!

Cheers,
Susan

3 comments:

Lora Mahaffey said...

So very pretty! I love the different textures and soft colors!

prills said...

Congratulations, Susan! It's beautiful.

Paper Profusion said...

Wow this is fabulous Susan - a gorgeous make with immaculate fussy cutting. Nicola x