Friday, July 13, 2012

4th Annual Where Bloggers Create Party!

 
We all love to share our spaces and peek into others, right? Karen at My Desert Cottage makes it possible for many wonderful bloggers to have a walk around studio spaces from all over the world. I'm really excited to participate this year's event. Welcome!


The family story is that my father-in-law was weighed on this scale as a wee one. So sweet! Piled on top is my ever-growing collection of antique and vintage lace. I have a soft spot for doilies.

Now, on to the room itself. I've learned that if I can't see it, I won't use it. This is the view from the doorway. One day I'll figure out how to marry my love of old with my love of these metal racks so they don't feel so... metal.


Most of my art is paper-based. The communication-themed shadow box is my work, while the gorgeous greeting card was sent by a blogging friend. 


 I like to work on a small scale, so 6x6 and 8x8 paper pads are essential.


Of course, there are a couple of manufacturers I cannot resist in 12x12; half of these trays are Graphic 45 alone!


One can never have too many paper flowers!


I set up this die-cutting station so I don't have to move the die cutter to my work table. When I'm in the throes, there isn't usually much room on the table! The baskets on the left are filled with dies and embossing folders.


Another aspect of my art is jewelry. From fun hat pins to fine silver bracelets and earrings, I love detail work. These bins hold crystals and findings for my pins as well as semi-precious gemstones, lampwork beads and hand made Argentium silver jump rings for chainmaille jewelry.


I use this carousel for anything and everything that is small enough to allow it to spin. the bottom is filled with flowers and the top has anything from vintage ephemera to glass bottles and metal bits. The shelves below hold the "to be altered" items including tins, cigar boxes and mini album blanks. The art was a Christmas gift from my incredibly talented skilled sister. :)


I've agonized over lace storage. This seems to be a good way to keep the selection accessible and neat.


Here's my work table. It's a secondhand kitchen table found on Craigslist (plus an extra chair from my own kitchen table set). The wall shelves hold gifts, swaps and some of my own favorite pieces.


I've been fortunate enough to swap with very creative folks!


The drawers hold jewelry pliers and tools as well as an assortment of pens. On top are the first two chainmaille bracelets I made. Even though they need a good cleaning, they are sparklier than this photo shows.  The ATC octopus is a swap and the fairy bits are a prize won. (I'll have a blog post about it after this one.) The tin is mine, called "Fairy Stories".


Ready to start another project...


Thanks for visiting! The colmplete list of participating blogs can be found HERE. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Susan

23 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

What a wonderful studio Susan!! Everything is beautifully organized...it's a good thing to find what you're looking for when creating ;) Just beautiful, xxoo, Dawn

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Awesome creative Space ♥
*hugs*deb

**CREATIVE CARMELINA** said...

Susan! I'm here making my rounds from Karen's blog....so nice to have stopped in to see where you create. Thanks so much for sharing your personal space.

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Diane said...

Love your organization! You must be able to get so much work done!

Mary Ellen said...

Such a great space and it is all so tidy and organized!!

So glad I finally have a space this year to share- it sure was fun creating it and will be even more fun creating all those projects I have in mind!

bee blessed
mary

Anne said...

What a sweet space. I'd love to create here!!

Thanks for sharing xox

Kathy said...

You have a great work space! Thank you for sharing.

Sandra Kaye said...

Love your room. I love paper arts also. If you ever want to trade ATCs let me know. Thanks for sharing!!

A China Cupcake said...

I am amazed at the full range of your artwork... from miniatures , greeting cards , gorgeous jewelry and lamp work . Thank you for letting me stop by and peek at your beautiful work and studio. please stop by and say hello Patt Beglin

Susan said...

Wow...I want to come to your house and create. Very nice space and I love love organization. I can't start a project until everything is in it's place. OCB I guess. I am a new follower now. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Come back again. Susan

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Susan!! I think your studio is wonderful! I need to see what I have to, and someday I'll have enough room to just let it all hang out!!! Yours is so wonderfully organized. Really important when you are in the creative "zone"! Thank you so much for joining the party!!!

Maureen said...

Great room... I adore the four drawer wooden box! Great organization (obviously necessary for one with so much paper!)

Sandy said...

Really great space, love that lace storage, so unique. Thank you for sharing your creative haven.

Geralyn Gray said...

You have a great organized space......love how you have the shelves and put them to good use....thanks for sharing!

Lynette Killam said...

Hello, Susan...I must say I'm delighted to find another Killam online...don't run into many of us!

Your studio is a delight with all its treasures...that baby scale is incredible. And I love the range of goodies you create. I was peeking at your other posts, too...perhaps we can exchange ATCs one time.

I'll sign up to follow and come back to visit soon...:)

505whimsygirl said...

Wow Susan!

I'm glad I came over and had a look around. Thanks for giving us the link in your WOYWW post!

Hugs,
Kay

sandee said...

So much fun to get a real view of your room, we don't get enough with WOYWW, lol My favorite station was the lace center, just makes me want to go over there and play! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :) #50

Rita Barakat said...

Looks like a great space to create! So many wonderful things to find! TFS!

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

What a great space and what wonderful work you do! Thank you for dropping by my studio too! I will be a follower of your lovely blog for sure.

Kristi S said...

Hi Susan!
Love your space..you are very organized!I love the baby scale and all of your lace! Thanks for sharing with us!
Hugs,
Kristi

Maureen Hayes said...

What a lovely space, I am so glad you are part of this tour this year. i enjoyed your studio and all your pretties!

katep25 said...

Oooooh love looking at your space, so wonderfully visually appealing but still so organised - nicely done!

Creative Grammie said...

Great crafting space! Thanks for the fun tour.